Monday, June 24, 2013
Finally got the mast stepped and the sails up. She fits the trailer very well. All she needs now is her CF numbers and we will put her in the water.
Sailing in the foothill lakes can be a real challenge. On the day we launched the wind was from the West and supposed to blow from 5 to 9 mph. In reality it blew from 0 to about 5 mph. I sat becalmed 10 feet from the dock for the first five minutes. Finally we started to get a gust now and then. She handles beautifully tacking on a dime. Hopefully I'll have better wind next time and post some pictures with a little more action.
Monday, May 20, 2013
The Trailer is an EZloader EZW 14-18 2,100 lb capacity with torsion bar suspension. I took the large rear bunk supports and installed them mid section. I then scribe'd a wood block to fit the hull and added filler blocks until I had a nice tight fit against the hull. Once again my overhead bracing did the job of lifting her off the chocks and setting her gently on the trailer.
The mast support was made from two pieces of 1/8" by 4" flat rolled steel. It fit very nicely on either side of the roller support and I simply made a wood insert to hold the mast.
The stern mast support simply attaches to the bulkhead. I installed two 3/4" by 1 1/2" oak strips with nut certs to receive the bolts. This way once the bolts have been loosened you can remove them without a wrench. The Gaff mast is 18' long so it fits nicely on the boat and trailer. The brace also helps to steady the mast when you are getting ready to step it.
As you can see the mast fits nicely in the chocks. I added tie downs on either side of the chocks to facilitate strapping the mast to the chocks.
And finally the sails are on and they fit. Still have a few small issues to resolve but for the most part she is ready for launching. The mast gets a bit heavy when you add the blocks and rope. I am using 3/8" Dacron for the running rigging and 1/4" three strand nylon for the lazy jacks. I am still working on a good way to step the mast without scaring the forward bulkhead. If anyone has some thoughts as how best to step the mast I will be happy to listen. I'll photograph the hardware installation on my next post.
Friday, March 8, 2013
The weather is finally getting a little warmer and it's time to start mixing epoxy again. I decided I didn't like looking at all the screws holding the Coaming to the sheer stiffener. Since I still had one sheet of 3/8 marine ply left I decided to overlay the first sheet and epoxy the two together. I cut and scarfed the plywood using the original 1/8 template I spiled the overlay sheet slightly larger so I could sand it in to match the original coaming. After a couple of dry fits I was satisfied with the new piece.
The most challenging problem was pulling the bottom edge of the plywood tight against the original coaming. Fortunately I had over-sized the original coaming as I did not want to look at the bottom edge of the sheer stiffener This gave me a small lip to get a C clamp to grab hold of and with a wood brace clamped to the coaming the C clamp was able to pull the new plywood overlay tight up against the existing coaming. I also stained the new coaming piece prior to installation to keep the epoxy from spotting the plywood preventing stain from covering evenly.
Sunday, October 21, 2012
up onto the bow. It also started cracking along the top when I tried to pull it to the center-line. The African Mahogany was very dry and not willing to cooperate. When I tried to buy another board the hardwood supplier had run out of the previous lot and the new shipment was substantially lighter in color. If it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have had any luck at all. To make a long story short I decided to switch over to 3/8 Mahogany marine plywood as I had two sheet available. I ripped a 4X8 into two 2X4's and scarfed them together. Once cut to shape the plywood was far more cooperative. The bend at the bow went smoothly and everything fit as it should. I used Interlux Mahogany Brown stain to darken the plywood. Once I had a coat of stain on it I was very pleased with the results. I suppose the correct answer would have been to install the coaming prior to finishing the deck so I could have screwed blocking in place to properly secure the Mahogany. Holding the coaming in place with only one person was the major challenge.
Monday, October 1, 2012
Saturday, September 1, 2012
I forgot to mention I painted the sheer strike yellow and added a second smaller rail along the bottom of the strike. I got the the idea from the front cover of the September/ October issue of Small Craft Advisor. They pictured Pet Culler's Buzzards Bay Sloop painted yellow with a blue stripe.